Friday, May 1, 2009

May. Hope. And Preeclampsia.

May is Preeclampsia Awareness Month.

May is a month of celebration at our home with both kids being born in May. They were supposed to both be Junebugs, but were Mayflies instead. Most of you know our story. Ariana born just prior to 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome, 4lbs, spending over two weeks in the NICU. Phoenix born at 37 weeks due to gestational hypertension, 5lbs 6oz. Because of their May birthdays, I feel especially tied to this cause.

I'm immensely thankful that both my babies were here with me. Some are not so lucky and my heart breaks for each baby that is lost to complications from this horrible condition. Preeclampsia has been around for thousands of years and yet there is still no cure. And the cause, while theories abound, is still unknown. We made the choice to not have more children due to preeclampsia concerns. The risk is just too great.

I hate knowing that my daughter, should she grow up and decide to become a mommy herself, will have to be concerned about preeclampsia due to family history. I HOPE there is a cure before then. I hope a cure is found soon, so moms and babies no longer have to suffer. My heart aches each time I learn of someone who has been tragically touched by preeclampsia.

Our family invites you to walk with us as we raise awareness for preeclampsia on June 6th. I have braved my fears and hesitation to host our own local event, which I am incredibly excited for. Even if you can't make it with us that day, you can walk where ever you are or even virtually with us. Please consider making a donation to help find a cure. To register or make a donation, visit:

Wausau Preeclampsia Awareness Walk

I know times are lean for many, but even $5 makes a difference. In honor of my children and those fellow preeclampsia survivors, some who experienced unimaginable heartbreak. Thank you.

Denise & Family
View this montage created at One True Media
Our Preeclampsia Babies


My fellow PE bloggers:

A Little Pregnant

My Miracle Boys

Baby Tea Leaves

Gilded In Grace

Bubbles & Ducks

House of Tafka

In The Eyes of a Survivor

Life Death Preeclampsia

Our Life in Holland

Life Without Ellie

Mothers Who Write

Mr. Spits

My Journey to Myles and Beyond

Team Killion

Mom of 2 Girls

Alpha Girls

Uppercase Woman

Why I Failed Math

Dead Baby Jokes

Kayleigh

Little Bluebirds

Growing With Micro-Preemie Challenges

* If I missed anyone, let me know.

4 comments:

niobe said...

Thanks for remembering and mentioning me. And for making this list of pe bloggers -- something I'm always meaning to do, but always seem to forget.

liz.preemiemom said...

Feel free to add me to your list. http://microdest.blogspot.com I had PE and HELLP.

Bluebird said...

Thank you so much. I just happened upon this post and am thrilled (in an I-really-hate-pre-e kind of way) to find this list. I'm always looking for other survivors, and its not always clear from people's profiles and etc. Thanks for sharing, and for organizing the walk. I will be thinking of you and can't wait to see pics!

Robyn said...

I delivered my second son at 36w3d due to pre-e/toxemia. It really is such a serious problem that doesn't get talked about nearly enough. Hoping this changes in the coming years.