Saturday, December 31, 2005

16 weeks, 5 days

I had a quick visit with the OB today. My blood pressure was great and things are looking good. I am scheduled to see the perinatalogist in two weeks and will be getting an ultrasound at the visit. I had the lab work for the AFP-4 screening today. We’re not all that concerned with the AFP results and if something could be wrong. I had the test when pregnant with Ariana and it showed a false positive. I’ve since learned that there is a correlation between a false positive AFP and preeclampsia. That is why I want to have the test with this baby. If it’s negative, I feel like I could perhaps relax a bit more. If it’s positive, I know not to go insane with worry, but to keep on the lookout for placenta issues. Since the MTHFR blood disorder I have impacts how I metabolize folic acid, it is a slight concern for us.

17 week Baby Factoids --
At 4 to 5 inches long and about 7 ounces, your baby is roughly the size of a large pear. And she's ripening--the brain, muscles, nervous and circulatory systems, and urinary tract are all functioning. Amniotic fluid is pumping through her lungs. Her skeleton, composed of rubbery cartilage, will harden later.

No comments: