Sunday, November 2, 2008

Missing Those Arms

You'll have to forgive me for getting all sappy this evening, but I'm missing having my hubby's arms tonight. And so this post is about him.


Jason and I met 14 years ago at a July 4th party. I was very close to not going, but decided to go for it. And that night changed my life forever. He was friends with someone I knew and that made me feel comfortable with him in the coming weeks. That night he was drunk off his ass and kept asking if he had a "cute butt," which remains a joke to this day. I was also able to get him to dance that night, even though he professed no dancing ability. I quickly learned he was telling the truth.

We spent a lot of time together that summer and the "L" word was dropped fairly early, now that I look back. I fell head over heels in love with this punk who used to have long hair and hang in the dirtball crowd. Totally unlike anyone I had dated in high school.

We stayed together through his move to a city about 100 miles away for college. He proposed in a totally sweet manner 1 1/2 years into our being together. I made the move to join him not long after that. I didn't really give him the option, it was more of an ultimatim. But it all worked out in the end.

We were married 3 years after our engagement, and it is one of my favorite days in my life. All along I had been very calm and ready to be married. Three months out from the wedding, he was ready and I was freaking out. Meeting his eyes as I walked up the aisle is something I will hopefully remember for the rest of my life.

As a husband, Jason has always supported any new adventure I embarked on. We are wonderful friends, and honestly he is the person I want to call first with good news. And the bad. I'm perfectly content to hang out and watch tv with him, or to sit in comfortable silence. He is absolutely priceless to me. I cannot imagine life without him. He has been my rock through the most difficult times of my life, and I am incredibly thankful to him for his loving arms at times when I've needed them most.

As a father, Jason is simply the best man I know to be the father of our children. I pegged him as a child magnet early on in our relationship, and that was high on my list. He rolls on the floor with them, playing "mucky mud monster", builds those awesome lego creations, etc. While there are days (mainly football Sundays) where his attention wanders, when he is on...he is on. He is the "fun" parent, and I envy his zest for life. He is amazing with our children. He is the best father I could ever ask for for my children.

Some things I love about Jason:
Sweet: I know this is a "chick" term, but he truly is a sweet man. He surprises me when I least expect it, and touches my heart with his thought often.
Respectful: He is extremely respectful of others, for the most part. As long as you are not a Vikings fan or a loud conservative...you're good as gold. ;-) (Just kidding.) His respect for women makes me proud.
Zest for life: Jason has this awesome quality to enjoy the moment and go with it. I am so jealous of this.
Loving: He is so loving, and not afraid to show it.

Don't get me wrong, there are things about him that drive me up a wall. But even with those things, I still adore him. If he was gone tomorrow, those are probably some of the things I'd miss most. To think of life without him just makes my heart ache.

I love you.

2 comments:

Christie O. said...

what a sweet, sweet post. the thing that made me laugh was "mucky mud monster". isn't it cute how these manly men come up with the cutest little things to play with the kids? kids make men so mushy. in our house it's "crazy diaper head daddy" or something like that. anyway, sweet post about a sweet guy. you're a lucky gal!

Anonymous said...

~blush~

You are the air I breath!

Love you - your hubby