Monday, June 11, 2007

Expectations

No matter what we do, we have expectations of people. We expect family members to call or stop by, friends to get together, etc. What if the expectations are not met? Who's problem is it?

Well, of course, it's the person with the expectations. But are there certain expectations that come along with being a family member, or a friend to someone? What happens when one person feels continually shut down? What if one says, "no one keeps in touch," but yet that person never replies to emails or phone messages?

I've learned that there are certain people in which I have had to lower the expectations I place upon them. Of course, that begs the question of should I even be making an expectation?

I'm trying to remember that communication is a two-way street and it takes more than one person to hold a conversation. But at what point, do you stop attempting a conversation? And how do you remedy that decision in your head? Or in your heart?

No comments: