Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Exuberance

Vivaciousness. Heart. Vitality.

These are words that describe my eldest child, Ariana. She is one who feels strongly and openly. We've always joked that she has two speeds, fast and faster. The only time she stops moving is when she's sleeping. Of course, she'll occasionally just pick out a book and sit and "read" it by herself, or sit to watch part of a movie. But most of the time, it's like she's got jumping beans in her little body. She can't just leisurely walk, she runs, hops, skips, and jumps to arrive at her destination. Whispering is a game as using a loud voice is more her style. She feels strongly and it's great to hear out of the blue, with no prompting, "Mom, I just love you so much." On the flip side, her energy makes her grumpy moments that much more grumpy.

Many people often say they'd give anything to have just a bit of her energy. I know I would. I'd also give anything at times to have her just sit quietly. But that's not my child. Can she be exhausting? Certainly. But her expressiveness and energy make her who she is. The girl who delights in the tiniest bug, who can find dinosaurs in the clouds, runs full tilt into the lake, leaps from the furniture, and who can give crushing hugs. And I wouldn't trade that for anything.

No comments: