Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sometimes words fail me

My dearest A,

You are such a bright shining star in our lives.  We have been through so much with you in your 7 years, and I can only imagine what's in store in the upcoming years.

You are special, unique, and amazing.  And there are times that words fail me when I want to describe the very essence of you.  Because you truly are that special.

We have "official" news on you.  Something that we already pretty much knew, but it helped to have someone with that PhD behind their name confirm it.  And much to my relief, no diagnosis of bipolar or related disorder.  The doctor told us yesterday these words, "You have a highly intelligent little girl.  Who happens to be a perfectionist.  And has anxiety."

Like I said, we already knew that.  But this gives us direction.  Direction on what to do to help you, how to help us while we help you.  My major goal as a parent is to assist you and your brother be the best "you" you can be.  Quirks and all.  Dr. M made the comment that you are too smart for your own good, and that is so true.  You are very curious and that sometimes leads you to gain knowledge of something that you fail to fully comprehend and then you become anxious.  And it's okay.  We're here to help you.  You have anxiety.  You are often fearful and worried and many times it's about things that we do not understand.  I promise to do better when helping you, to listen fully, to console you when you need it, and to encourage you to make mistakes and celebrate your quirks.

I love you, worries and all.

Love mom

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I am so glad you got a diagnosis. Carly was also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder a few months ago. She was started on Zoloft and it has changed her life in so many ways. She tells me now that "I don't ever want to feel the way I used to feel ever again." The meds along with a little therapy have allowed my child to actually become a child. She has been set free from her own personal prison. I hope for you that your success with her treatment is just as sweet! (((hugs))))