Sunday, February 6, 2011

Anxiety Update

It’s been a while since I posted (of course).  Here’s a down and dirty on the anxiety status at our home:
December (prior to Christmas)–I arrange for Ari’s records to be sent to Dr. D (the child psychologist).  Then I find out that I need to complete a large packet prior to the office scheduling an appointment.  Nothing like a delay.  I receive the packet in the mail on Christmas Eve and spend time over the holidays answering questions such as “what fears does your child have?” and “what kind of discipline do you use with your child?”  I send the packet in right away with hope we get an appointment in January yet.
One week goes by.
Another week goes by.  I’m becoming anxious now about this appointment.  I think about calling, but tell myself that they need to review her records and the packet prior to scheduling the appoint.
I call at 3 weeks out.  And the receptionist says “We sent your packet out on Dec. 22 and have yet to receive anything back.”  Um, you’ve got to be frickin’ kidding me.  Yes, that is what I really said.  Two trains of thought instantly coursed through my mind.  1) Fuck.  Fuck.  Fuck.  How can this be?  You HAVE to schedule her NOW.  2) sigh.  The paperwork got lost in the mail.  I want to cry.
I feel myself getting very emotional, but hold it together and firmly tell the woman that I sent back the packet right after Christmas.  She will mail me another, or I can stop by and pick it up.  It’s Wednesday.  My goal is to have it back to them by the next day or Friday at the latest.  We make arrangements for me pick up the packet.  I hang up and then I start to cry.  I am upset with myself for not calling sooner.  For not listening to my gut.  But what can I do at this point.  Fill out another damn packet, that’s what.
I collect myself and make another call.  Within minutes, Jason calls from home.  Thankfully he was home with a sick kid and guess who called?  Dr. D’s office.  They found the packet.  And we have an appt for the second week of February.  I think they worked us in due to the snafu.
During this time, Ari has had a pretty good time dealing with her anxiety.  No major “episodes” as I call them.  I start to question myself and our decision.  Are we doing the right thing?  I remind myself that we’ve gone weeks before where things were good and then whammo.  Anxiety/worries/emotional instability strikes.  And of course, that is exactly what happened.  The week of the full moon, hell broke loose.  A week and a half of upheaval.  It was exhausting.  And it reminded me that while she may great days/weeks, she still manages this on a daily basis.
And here we are.  Almost to her appointment.  It’s supposed to be this next Thursday.  And Friday, she brings home an invitation.  Her class is putting on a play.  She’s playing “mouse” and wants us to be there.  The play is at 2:15pm.  Guess what time her appointment is?  2:00pm.  And just the mention that perhaps she may not be in the play and we’d have to talk with her teacher about sends her over the edge.  So, I will be calling Monday to reschedule her appointment.
sigh.  I’m guessing it will be another month or two before we get in.

No comments: