Thursday, December 6, 2007

My Inner Scrooge

My inner Scrooge is making it's annual appearance. I get Scrooge-like when it comes to shopping during the holidays. This is a huge reason of why I also like to buy gifts early. People are in a hurry, they are crabby, they are rude.

This woman at the store this morning almost caused me to lose my cool. The kids were with me and I was disappointed that the items I wanted were not instock. So, I'm waiting in line for the ONE cashier that's open and the backup person comes. She says she'll take the next person in line (that's me) and this BAG (I have another word I used in my head, but I won't type it) literally races me for the line. She, of course, has a crapload of items to buy while I'm standing there with two things and two young kids. If I would have stayed where I would have been outta there lickety-split. Then as I am backing out of the space, this dude in a huge SUV comes racing down the aisle and doesn't wait for me to finish backing up. The ass end of my van is in the middle and he schleps by without a glance. "Fucker" I mutter under my breath so the bad-word police (Ariana) don't nab me.

This is a time of year for helpfulness, cheer, and all that good shit. So, why do people have to be assholes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't ventured out Chrsitmas shopping-or much shopping for anything lately, for this very reason. We're braving the "elements" (not weather, but people elements) this weekend. I'll take a Valium first! ;)

Aunt Becky said...

People get so crappy sometimes during the holidays. I don't get it. I try like crazy to not succumb to taking whatever I may be feeling out on people in public.

I was a waitress for many years, and I've learned that there are two types of people during the holidays: the sweet ones and the pricks.

I aim to be the sweet one. Whether I succeed, I have no idea.