Monday, December 3, 2007

Cannot Do Without

I love to read. I'll read pretty much whatever I can get my hands on, and can easily finish a 600 page book within a day or two if I really, really am enthralled with it. Often, I cannot put the book down and take it everywhere I go, so if the chance comes to read a page or two I can. It's painful to put the book down when I'm so involved though.

I love to revisit previously read books, and thus my obsession with hardcovers. If I buy a book in paperback and fall in love with it, I've been known to purchase it in hardcover and give the paperback away. I'm currently re-reading Lord of the Rings. I needed something to read and I figured the trilogy would keep me busy for a while. Plus nothing was jumping out at me when I popped by the bookstore.

Reading 2-3 books at a time has also happened. When I do this, the books are typically of a different genre so I don't confuse things. I do this most often if a book gets boring. I'll put it down to read something else and end up simultaneously reading both.

I read fiction, non-fiction, autobiographies, etc. Pretty much anything. My guilty pleasure if historical romance. I call them my "fluff" books as they don't require my brain to think much. ;) I can simply enjoy a quick read where things end well and love conquers all. I particularly enjoy a Regency era novel.

In the last year I was recommended two separate book series, but just hadn't picked them up. The first was the Inheritance Trilogy, namely the first book Eragon. I can't tell you how many times I picked up the book at the store only to put it back down. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. So, I saw the movie last December and went right out to purchase the book. Hands down, book is better as usual. Then I had to get the second book in the series. Wonderful again. The second series that came highly recommended is the Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer. Talk about non-stop reading! I couldn't be parted with these books. For both series, I'm anxiously awaiting the next piece of work.

I'm also a Harry Potter fan. (Again, one of those recommmened series, but didn't read until the 3rd book came out) For me, HP is a super quick, easy read. I've read and reread them all. Except the last book. I read that immediately after it's release, but can't bring myself to read it again. I'm not sure what my issue is, but I've tried to pick it back up and just can't. I think I'm having acceptance issues that it's all over. No more HP books. HP7 is on my list to read after I finish LOTR, so we'll see how it goes.

I cannot imagine not reading for pleasure. It's truly one of my most favorite things to do. Crankiness settles in if I don't allow myself at least a few minutes to read each day, especially before bed.

My love for books goes back as far as I can recall. When I was younger, my mom would think I'd be asleep at night only to find me so overtired in the mornings. Until she figured out that I was reading under my covers with a flashlight.

Walking into a bookstore for me is like a child walking into a toy or candy store. So many choices, my brain goes into overload. I'm at peace when I step inside. I don't often leave without a purchase.

I love the smell of a new book, the crispness of the pages, the creak of the binding when first opened. Reading is a gift I treasure.

One of the most important things to me as a parent is to pass along the love of the written word. I'm estatic that both kids love books. They have their own bookshelf which is filled to the brim. I love to hear quiet and wonder where they are, only to find them on the floor in front of the bookshelf surrounded by books.

This love and devotion of reading is not always understood by my husband, but he's recently picked up a book again and has fallen under it's spell. More often then not, I find him reading before bed rather than watching television.

Reading is a passion. It's simply like breathing for me. I can't do without it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Dr. Seuss.
I can read here and there.
I can read anywhere.

Casey's trio said...

I totally appreciate you love for reading and always have a book I am reading also! I don't get to read as often as I like, but appreciate the 15 minutes before bed every night! I will have to check out the books you recommended. I am also an HP fan and already finished #7!

Aunt Becky said...

I love reading, too. I'm an annoying speed-reader, so I often miss out on many of the smaller details, but since I reread almost constantly, I always pick them up sooner or later.