Sunday, May 6, 2012

Where to begin

Oh, where to begin.  I guess a quick update from my last post is a good place to start.  I have given my notice at my FT job and will be ending my time there at the end of May.  It is very bittersweet to come to this as I thought that was the job I would be working until it was retirement time.  However, it just isn't meant to be.  The stress of the job is changing me and I cannot allow that to continue to happen.  I could go on and on, but am choosing not to dwell. 

I will begin my next adventure after we get back from vacation in June.  I will be working for a prior place of employment, an abuse shelter; working with their volunteer program.  I am excited at this opportunity and think it is a great fit for me and me for it.  The hours are part time which leads me to having more time for the rest of life.

And the rest of life....the kids are winding down the school year and hopefully we are getting things squared away with their "extra needs."  After having some struggles with school and other areas, Ari was tested for ADHD.  In discussing it with her doctor, we thought we'd give meds a try in addition to the therapy she is doing now.  In the last 6 weeks, she is a different kid when it comes to homework.  There are days she is even finishing everything at school, which was unheard of before.  We are going to start weaning her off the anxiety meds and are hoping the anxiety is a by product of the ADHD.  We will see.  Ari's been attending weekly sessions with a therapist, which while she likes to go, she also hates going.  Miss Katie is very open with Ari in telling her that if she works hard to achieve the goals we have set forth in her treatment plan, then she can stop the sessions. 

Phoenix is doing alright.  He had some hiccups after this tonsil & adenoid surgery, but we made it through that.  We had improved sleep with him for about a month afterwards but it is now back to shit sleep and night terrors.  He has an appointment with a behavioral pediatrician to see what she can do to help us.  She's thinking possibly another sleep study....awesome. 

Lots of yelling has been occurring in our home.  It drives me absolutely frickin' insane.  I am hoping that once I change jobs things will settle in and I can assist the kids where/when they need it and have the house running a bit more smoothly.  Life is a work in progress.  That is my life lesson I am attempting to remember daily this year.  Things have not been the greatest and I am trying to hold onto the good things. 

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Luckily, there are always at least a few good things! I hope the new job brings good things both in your heart and in your home. I changed jobs (same place, different job) around last Thanksgiving. The pay is about the same but now I am home on time every night. It has helped our family so much and I hope your job change also brings some peace to your life. I hope Ari does well with the new meds. Carly takes both anxiety and ADHD meds. She does well with the combination. Miss either one of them and the day is pretty much shot to hell. I am not at all envious of the sleep study- I hope it yields answers too. Keep your chin up lady- the sun will shine again!

Dawn said...

Oh, how this sounds like my household! I can tell you that it wasn't until just this year (5th grade) that C matured and grew out of some of his "tendencies". We're having ups & downs w/G, but the ADD med. is quite noticeably helping. It's a struggle, but as they grow & age, it does seem to get a bit easier (if that's any consolation now).
The yelling still happens, but now I can tell the boys "sorry Mom's being an asshat, but I'm stressed out and you kids are driving me crazy". We get a bit of a laugh when I admit my own shortcomings and bring myself to their level. They understand I have my moments, and they too understand they influence my moods & yelling.

This is why I drink! ;)
seriously though, it will all be OK. Glad to hear you made a positive decision about the job.

Best wishes for you all!