Monday, November 3, 2008

One the Eve

To my children,

Tomorrow, this country will elect it's 44th President of the United States. This election holds something special for this country. We have an African American as a Presidential candidate and a female as a VP candidate. How freakin' cool is that?! I am awed that it has taken this long to get either as a top candidate. Mystified and in some ways disappointed. We've come so far, but still have such a long way to go. Voting is a priviledge, and one each citizen should take advantage of. Be an educated voter and select a candidate for the reasons that matter to you, not just because of a party affiliation.

I had planned to take you to vote with me on Tuesday, and to take our photos at the polling place together. Something that you could look back on in 10, 20, or 30 years and say "Hey, I was there the day history was made." I had to vote early and I am sad about not being able to share that moment. I know we could have done a better job of perhaps talking more about the election process, but it's hard to know what a five year old can understand sometimes. And things I tried to explain to you, you didn't seem to understand. But then you came home from school with knowledge on voting. Excellent. We've taken you along to vote when you were babes and were not aware of what was going on. I hope that in the years to come, you show interest in voting, and caring about what goes on in this country.

I read a quote in the paper this morning that read, "Plan for the future because that's where you are going to spend the rest of your life" by Mark Twain. I hope we can show you in the coming years that yes, your opinion matters. Even if you think it doesn't, trust me it does. It's okay to be passionate about what you believe in. And still respect and be respectful of others with differing opinions. The thing is when you vote, no matter who you vote for, there are several millions other voters who voted for the other candidate. And that's okay. I hope when you are old enough to vote, differences are discussed rationally and not made with accusatsion. Which is something I feel this country has lost along the way in recent years.

I hope when you turn 18 and can vote in your first election, you are as excited as I was for that first "biggie" election. I still find it just as exciting today. We are able to be part of a process that concerns this country. What an awesome life opportunity.

I hope that your dad and I can be impartial and not be too heavy hitting with our own personal views in politics when we talk with you. I want each of you to be independent thinkers who are open to new ideas and discussions. I won't ever tell you who to vote for, you will be able to make up your own mind. You need to make the decision based on your thoughts and feelings, not mine. I hope you are someone who cares about others, gets involved in causes important to you, etc. You can be a force. That this can show you that you CAN be President (although I really wouldn't want you to run for office). You can be ANYTHING you want to be.

I have high hopes for your futures, and this election does pertain to your futures. It affects you in ways you cannot imagine as a child.

Love,
mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said.
C said this morning he's voting for "xxxxx", and I simply asked "why?" He said "I dunno, cuz my friends are".

It's great being a parent and knowing that how we choose to teach the kiddos about will affect them going forward.

Anonymous said...

Truly eloquent! Your kids are very lucky to have such an open-minded lady for a mom. :)