Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It's All in Your Perspective

I was watching an episode of Oprah last evening, one that I had recorded from earlier in the week. It was about the Day Spa they had taken several women to and how to live our best lives. Very inspiring to say the least. One of the things I took from it was to change how you look at something that majorly affected your life. So here goes.

I am thankful for developing preeclampsia. (How weird does that sound?) Why am I thankful?
-I am thankful because I now have a knowledge of my body that I would never have developed without preeclampsia.
-I know more about the babes that grow inside my body than what it shared in the "week by week" guide to having a baby.
-I have met tremendous women who I am forever grateful for having them touch my life. I have seen courage, strength, and wisdom from those ladies and that has inspired me.
-I am much more acquainted with lab results that I was before.
-I have become a much better advocate for my own health.
-I am incredibly thankful for my children's health as well as my own.
-I have learned to cherish each moment of my children's lives.
-I am so appreciative for the incredible nurses and my wonderful OB to keeping such a great eye on me during my second pregnancy. You just cannot know how appreciative I am.
-I am thankful to have this thing called preeclampsia affect my relationship with a fantastic partner. Our relationship may have bumps in it, but our experience strengthened our relationship.
-I am thankful for having developed preeclampsia. It made me realize that I am much more strong that I could have ever imagined. I did things I didn't know I could do, such as give birth without an epidural while in a mag-induced haze.

The one thing I am most thankful to preeclampsia is for helping me become so passionate about one subject in a way that I never was before. Sure I supported various organizations, but this affected me in a way that preeclampsia is a part of my fabric as a human being now. I am thankful to be a preeclampsia survivor.

No comments: