Thursday, August 30, 2007

It Must Stop

In 18 months, our community has had three homicides related to domestic violent situations. As I heard the news of another murder this week, my heart fell. I am sad and angry. I am devastated that some in this community are focusing on the wrong issues. The issue is not cultural, the issue is violence.

I am planning on hitting the topic of domestic violence pretty good during the month of October so I won't go into alot of the stats and whatnot for now.

So many people ask why the woman hasn't left. It doesn't matter. People need to ask why he thinks it's okay to abuse his partner. Until that becomes the primary question, things are not changing the way they need to change. It's time for people to step up and take action.

If you know someone who is being abused by their partner, just be there for them. Don't judge or tell them what to do. Let them know you are there for them whenever they may need you. Never ask why they stayed. Victims do what they need to do to get through the situation the best they can. Please don't judge their actions or lack of actions as you see it.

I applaud the hard work and efforts of the people who work to help victims of domestic and sexual violence. What you do takes heart, courage, and strength. What you do is so important and means so much to the people who need your help. Thank you!

No comments: